[mythtv-users] Change v30.0-25-gbceea69806 makes playback visibly jumpy (March 10th)

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 16:14:31 UTC 2019

On 3/26/19 3:32 PM, jksjdevelop wrote:

> On 26/03/2019 14:37, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 3/25/19 3:33 PM, jksjdevelop wrote:
>>> The Medea is 1080i 25Hz UK DVB-S2
>>>
>>> The platform is Ubuntu 18.10 64 bit Nvidia GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2
>>> Driver Version: 390.116
>>>
>>> Change AVSync2: Use frame timestamps to determine elapsed play time
>>> - causes frames to be discarded.
>>>
>>> With verbose logging on playback.
>>>
>>> At the previous commit, the picture is rock solid with an even
>>> scrolling news ticker, despite some frames being discarded
>>>
>>> MythTV Version : v30.0-24-g90468ec49a
>>> MythTV Branch : (HEAD detached at 90468ec49a)

>> There are several commits around that time
>> (most recent is listed first)
>> * 60cfb7c05a 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Fix compile error from
>> bceea69806d
>> * 76ea9755b6 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Playback: Fix jerkiness with
>> codec-deinterlaced content
>> * 13f5fd8307 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Playback: Improve "Music
>> Choice" detection
>> * bceea69806 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : AVSync2: Use frame timestamps
>> to determine elapsed play time
>> * 90468ec49a 2019/03/10 Peter Bennett : Playback: AvSync2 fix fast
>> forward/rewind
>>
>> bceea69806 did introduce jerkiness and that was fixed the same day in
>> a later commit 76ea9755b6.
>> Also the compile error was fixed in 60cfb7c05a.
>>
>> Please try a version after 60cfb7c05a
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I have retested against the version pre change v30.0-28-g60cfb7c05a
> and the latest v30.0-38-g3af3cad3d7.
>
> The early version works fine but the latest is jittery using Avsync2
> VDPAU High Quality. I record from both satellite and terrestrial which
> have different bit rates. The best quality picture across the two
> types is now produced by  Avsync2 OpenGL High Quality.
>
> MythTV Version : v30.0-28-g60cfb7c05a
> Playback silky smooth as shown by a news ticker using VDPAU High
> Quality for both Avsync 1 and Avsync2
> 572 instances per minute of Frame X is in use by avlib and so is being
> held for later discarding

> MythTV Version :v30.0-38-g3af3cad3d7
> Playback jerky using Avsync2 VDPAU High Quality
> 584 instances per minute of Frame X is in use by avlib and so is being
> held for later discarding
> So presume the above message is not significant.
>
> Playback smooth using Avsync1 VDPAU High Quality
> 160 instances per minute of Frame X is in use by avlib and so is being
> held for later discarding
>
> Playback smooth using Avsync2 OpenGL High Quality
> No error messages
>
> Playback smooth using Avsync1 OpenGL High Quality
> No error messages
>
> I will clear my git local store and do a full rebuild tomorrow just to
> check.

I have tried various videos with the latest MythTV version and -v
playback and do not see that "avlib in use" message at all.

I have one TV series which is a British series (Midsomer murders) from a
USA channel (ovation). Using VDPAU it is very choppy, almost
unwatchable. I changed the display refresh rate from 60 to 50 and that
is a great improvement. Changing from VDPAU to OpenGL Slim is a further
improvement.

Is your video interlaced? Double rate deinterlacers need a refresh rate
double the frame rate.

Also check your driver version. You can get newer driver versions for
ubuntu from the ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Try the latest driver that is available from there.