[mythtv-users] 4K Video Settings

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:39:36 UTC 2019

On 3/20/19 2:46 PM, Martin Compton wrote:
> My old TV crapped out, and I have a new 4K UHD television.  I'm
> running an AMD A8 CPU/GPU which surprisingly drives the display at 4K
> resolution.  However, that also limits the de-interlacing options
> (i.e. no 2X filters).
>
> All of my content is 1080i or lower.  Would I be better off changing
> the X / Myth resolution to 1920x1080 and letting the TV upscale, or
> continue to let the GPU do it with lessor de-interlacing?
>
> Curious as to what others are doing.
>
> Martin

To get 2x deinterlace, you need a refresh rate of 50 or 60 Hz. At 4K
resolution this needs a HDMI 2.1 cable and an HDMI 2.1 capable port on
your video card and TV. On my 4K display, only the first HDMI port
supports 60 Hz, the second port runs only at 30 Hz at 4K resolution..

So you may be able to solve it with a new cable and/or switching to a
different HDMI port on your TV.

Failing this, I would say it is better to run the TV at 1920x1080.

Peter