[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Mar 18 23:31:45 UTC 2019

> On 18 Mar 2019, at 10:56 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> If you made a list of the possible causes of the failures, MythTV shouldn't be on the list. It has no control over the correctness of the filesystem. That would be the OS's job.
>>
>> If the drive passes a read-only test, which only checks if each sector can be read successfully not the contents of the sector, then either the OS had an issue that corrupted the FS, or there was a problem with the data channel. Both of those a pretty unlikely these days, except old hardware might cause a data issue.
>>
>> If the drive fails a read-only test, the damage goes beyond the filesystem, either to the circuit board of the drive or the platters themselves. This is usually caused by low quality components, old age, or bad power. If your system is on a UPS with AVR, it's probably not bad power.
>>

> I?ve had multiple failures of the volume that Myth stores recordings on.  I?ve had no other failures.  I know that?s not a statistical sample but Myth has something to  do with it.

A few things apple does are very nice (many are not) but timemachine for backups is very nice.
(As is their whole bundle concept, where an application and all it's libraries are lumped together to make an ‘app')

A few years ago Seagate in their “ATA more than an interface” paper said this was where we are going. EG there is venimous rejection of their statement that if you have more than 1 disk near another then one WILL fail.

As the cost of flash drops it looks more and more attractive. You *can* get 4T samsung SSDs.

backintime is loosely based on timemachine and with USB external disks is a cheap and easy backup solutiom.

What is even more horrid is apple do not support ntfs so even that is a track-into-the-woods. Sympathies Craig, but you are somewhat knackered.

James