[mythtv-users] Sudden issue with HDHomeRun on network switch?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 23:41:27 UTC 2019

On 3/14/19, glen <glenb at glenb.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 18:18 -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> I had a REALLY odd one this week, and I'm not sure what this is all
>> about:
>> I have two HDHomeRun Connect HDHR4-2US units. They've both
>> beenconnected to an 8 port switch I have for a long time. I expressly
>> hadthem on the switch so as to avoid having them dependent on the
>> router.
>> On Monday I had several recordings fail. At that point I noticed
>> thatthe back of one HDHR was flashing red (no network connection).
>> When Itried to power it off and on it would get a link for a few
>> seconds andthen drop it, and go to the blinking red status. I
>> verified that theswitch port and cable were OK by connecting other
>> devices and they allworked OK. At that point I naturally figured that
>> the HDHR, or the NICin it, must have died, so I ordered another. I
>> actually ordered twobecause 6th Ave Electronics (via Newegg) had them
>> for $58 and freeshipping which is way cheaper than I generally see
>> them.
>> They arrived today and when I hooked one up...SAME issue...drops
>> thelink and flashes red after a few seconds...almost went ballistic.
>> WhatI found was that both the new one and the old one I thought was
>> dead,work perfectly connected to my router, but fail connected to ANY
>> porton the switch.
>> To make this even stranger, I now have a laptop of mine connected
>> toone of the same ports on that switch and it's working flawlessly.
>> Infact, my other (older) HDHR is working connected to the switch as
>> italways has.
>> I have no idea what to make of that at all. I can only think
>> thatmaybe the switch is going bad(?) and the requirements of the HDHR
>> tomaintain a link are more restrictive than other devices?? Sort
>> ofcrazy. Any opinions would be welcome.
>> Tom_______________________________________________mythtv-users
>
> i would look toward the switch as the problem. is this a managed or
> unmanaged switch ?. did you try different portson the switch ? i would
> swap ethernet cables and move the hdhomeruns to ports on switch not
> used before. preferably1 and 2 on the switch

I definitely tried several ports, all of which work for other
devices...no luck. It's an unmanaged switch. As noted in another
reply, a Trendnet TEG-S80g.

I've had it long enough that I'm inclined to just replace it.

Any recommendations are welcome. I was looking at a Netgear GS316
which seem to get pretty good reviews.

Tom

Tom