[mythtv-users] CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE -> multiple instances of mythfrontend

Ian Cameron mkbloke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 08:23:09 UTC 2019

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your detailed and useful reply.  Hopefully Allen can
investigate some of the options regarding the window manager information
you have given.

I must say, I did think your solution of killing mythfrontend via the
remote to be a good and elegant one.  Given that a remote is nearly always
to hand, it's about as user-friendly as it could be.  So far, we have gone
down this rabbit hole a bit - the question now is whether to go further
down it or give up...

Here is what I think is happening:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 06:56, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> Looking at the contents of /usr/bin/mythfrontend, the first line of
> code is this:
>
> pidof mythfrontend.real 2>&1 >/dev/null && wmctrl -a "MythTV Frontend"
> 2>/dev/null && exit 0
>
> Which should make the script exit if mythfrontend.real is already
> running, and prevent multiple copies from being run.

Having sorted out the ctrl-alt-backspace issue, we moved on to sorting out
the automatic log in to LightDM after a ctrl-alt-backspace issue.  I think
the solution to the automatic log in issue is what is making the shell
script above fail, likely wmctrl returns false, so the wrapper does not
exit...

Clicking on the Edit button reveals that this runs:
>   mythfrontend --service

 ...so where I was going with this was to ultimately suggest running
mythfrontend without the --service option, which bypasses the automatic
restart functionality.  Obviously, a disadvantage of that would be that if
mythfrontend crashes and exits, no automatic restart would be performed and
I guess the "user-friendly" way to deal with that would become
ctrl-alt-backspace...

Cheers, Ian