[mythtv-users] Web Frontend works again (was: Web Frontend stopped working yesterday)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 9 08:30:23 UTC 2019

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 08:20:06 +0100, you wrote:

>I understood mythtv-setup stops and restarts the backend and I relied on
>it. Looks like restarting it with systemctl helped.

No.  As of systemd, the commands inside MythTV do not normally work to
shut down and restart mythbackend.  The default stop command is
"killall mythbackend", which might work.  The default start command is
"mythbackend", which definitely will not work correctly.  So you
really need to manually stop mythbackend before running mythtv-setup:

sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend

and after closing mythtv-setup, restart mythbackend:

sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend

It should be possible to write an sudoer helper script that could be
used to start and stop mythbackend using systemctl and then change the
commands inside MythTV (and in the mythtv-setup script that runs
mythtv-setup.real) to use that script.  The devs have not got around
to looking at that, so if I find the time I think I will.

So the reason you had problems with web frontend was probably that
mythbackend had not been shut down when you ran mythtv-setup, and it
would not have seen the setup changes you had made.  Or that
mythbackend had been shut down, but was started up not using systemctl
and found either no config file, or the wrong config file.