[mythtv-users] Fwd: mythmusic & filesystem permissions

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Mar 9 01:32:43 UTC 2019

From: *Vincent McIntyre* <vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
> <mailto:vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com>>
> Date: Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 6:34 PM
> Subject: [mythtv-users] mythmusic & filesystem permissions
> To: <mythtv-users at lists.mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at lists.mythtv.org>>
>

> Hi all
>
> (ubuntu 16.04, 29.1+fixes.201902191821.8f37aa3~ubuntu16.04.1)
>
> I have a strange issue with permissions.
> I think I need more logging info, but read on and let me know what
> you think.
>

> I was trying to rescan a CD that I already had in my collection.
> I removed the directory and rescanned ('scan for new music').
> Then inserted the CD and ran 'import cd' as normal.
>
> It scans the first track (creates the album subdir below the right
> artist, and the first track in a .flac) and then stops with this popup:
>
> "The encoder failed to create the file.
>   Do you have write permissions for the music directory?"

I cannot help with the diagnosis of this error, but I can confirm that it
exists. I am running a self-compiled 0.29-patches from the git repo, and I see
exactly the same error. Most of the music that I want in MythMusic was scanned
before this problem happened, but I am currently unable to add any new music -
your situation exactly.

I had not been sufficiently motivated to actually look at error messages as the
problem is low on my TODO list.

The following log message looks suspicious:

 > Mar  9 11:15:27 mtv mythbackend: mythbackend[2868]: W ProcessRequest
ringbuffer.cpp:700 (Start) RingBuf(/var/lib/mythtv/music
//My_Friend_the_Chocolate_Cake/My_Friend_the_Chocolate_Cake/01-A_Midlife_s_Tale.flac):
Not starting read ahead thread, this is a write only RingBuffer

A write only RingBuffer seems strange. If you cannot read it, why write it in
the first place?

Larry