[mythtv-users] CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:17:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 3:16 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 22:45:16 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >I upgraded from Mythbuntu8 to mythbuntu18. X just froze and we used to use
> >CTRL-ALT-BS but I know it has been removed.
> >
> >I have been Googling this and found that this was replaced by
> >AysRq-rightAlt-K but that doesn't work. Then I found a nice gui checkbox
> >that restored it but that isn't there.  I found several different files I
> >could create, all different, and the instructions below that look like
> they
> >might work but I don't want to blow up the system so can someone tell me
> if
> >this is correct for Mythbuntu 18? (I modified it slightly to use nano).
> >Basically I found almost a dozen ways to enable this in xfce but they were
> >all different.  In the past very bad things happened when I just followed
> >online instructions.  That is why I am asking for help
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Allen
> >
> >Enable the key combination Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
> >
> >   1.
> >
> >   Open the Terminal and run sudo nano /etc/default/keyboard
> >   2.
> >
> >   Find the line:
> >   XKBOPTIONS=""
> >   3.
> >
> >   Replace it with:
> >   XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
> >   4.
> >
> >   Save the modified file and close it.
> >   5.
> >
> >   Reboot your computer to take affect.
>
> If you are using lightdm (as I do with Xubuntu 18), then log in from a
> terminal (Alt-F1) or ssh and do "sudo systemctl restart lightdm" to
> restart X.  That works pretty well for me, so I did not investigate
> any further the various keystroke options.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion but it doesn't solve the problem.

While the lightdm command worked on a test this morning, the system was not
hung up so not sure if it would have worked last night.

The issue last night was that Myth was frozen and the cursor was off.  In
spite of no cursor, I was able to open system logoff command and click
Logoff but Myth would not close and prevented X from closing.  The logoff
attempt was met with a message "Myth is not responding do you want force a
close, Y/N" or something like that but it did not respond to a "Y" from the
keyboard so I was unable to logoff and had to use the power button.  The
power button did not fully turn off the computer and I had to do a long
press to force the computer to shut off.  Basically a hot mess. With
Mythbuntu-8 this would happen one or two times a year and the simple key
sequence would restart X and all was good.  My wife could do it without
calling me down to issue some system commands.

Even if that worked, CTRL-ALT-Backspace is a lot easier to use.  By the
way, Alt-F1 does not bring up a terminal window on my system for some
reason.

What I need is something like CTRL-ALT-Backspace, or the SysRq-Alt-K (which
did not work) so that my wife can restart X.  While I appreciate knowing
about the systemctl command, it is not "wife friendly" at least in the case
of my wife. The power button would be an option but it interrupts
recordings and even it didn't really work last night,  I needed the long
press.

Allen