[mythtv-users] MythTV miscalculates the amount of free disk space

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 16:20:32 UTC 2019

On 04/03/2019 13:02, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Patches for a new feature that can distinguish the disks are gladly
> accepted.  We'd love to see how you solve the problem.

Mike, thanks for your response.

I see the logic behind the approach, noting that its shortcomings are
minor and fail "safely" as you pointed out.

You are correct that it is probably not possible to do better without
incurring a severe performance penalty. What I think would work would be
to write a large-ish temporary file to each storage group and observe
the amount of free space in each of the others, both before the file is
created, once it exists, and again once it is deleted. I think that if
all three tests yield the same amount of free space between a pair of
directories this would be a pretty conclusive indication that they
belong to the same filesystem.

It would still suffer from "interference" by non-MythTV processes that
also write to those filesystems. So the problem is probably too minor to
try and improve on the current situation.

Thanks, Jan