[mythtv-users] Shield TV Video Settings

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 19:48:15 UTC 2019

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 12:24 PM, glen <glenb at glenb.us> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 11:40 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 3/3/19 11:24 AM,
>> john.baab at gmail.com
>>  <mailto:john.baab at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What settings is everyone using on their Shield TVs?  My content is
>>> mainly from US based HDHomerun CC's.  A large majority of my channels
>>> are h264 now, but I still have a few mpeg2 ones sticking around.
>>>
>>> The recommended settings on the wiki didn't work well for the mpeg2 content:
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android
>>>  <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android>
>>>
>>> So I ended up going with a modified version of the 2nd entry:
>>> Decoder: Android MediaCodec decoder
>>> Video Render: opengl
>>> Deinterlacers: Disabled
>>>
>>> My understanding is that the MediaCodec automagically deinterlaces,
>>> and I saw some studdering with deinterlacers enabled.  I haven't had a
>>> chance to compare the different opengl options to see if one works
>>> better than the other.
>>>
>> This may be the same problem that Mark Spieth found on h264 interlaced
>> content from Australia. The mediacodec decoder is getting confused
>> between interlaced and progressive and continuously flipping between the
>> two. I don't yet know the cause, but it seems to work much better to use
>> standard (software) decoder in this case.
>>

> i have same/similar issue on shield on h264. the mpeg2 is great with mediacodec. on h264 mainly from hdpvr after a
> while the playback will stutter badly, if i exit the playback and restart it is fine. this is generally around 20
> minute mark. and i agree it does not happen on opengl high quality with any deinterlacer. yet the same codec delpoyed
> by kodi (on the shield) on the same content does not display the issue.
With my mpeg2 OTA recordings I use the the Android Shield TV wiki settings. But the quality of the video seems to vary depending on the program.

From my testing, I think the Shield TV has it’s own problems. It depends on app.  Prime Video has a jumping problem every few seconds. It’s minor but depending on the scene and program it’s annoying. Sling TV does not have this issue. Mythtv does not have this problem on most programs.

If anyone have the pilot of The Enemy Within (NBC 2/25/2019), the opening has the main character walking toward the camera and a bicycle crossing right to left.  In that scene the bike seems to jump across the screen every second. This also happens on Kodi 18 on the shield tv. It does not happen on a Ubuntu desktop with an Nvidia GT710 GFX card.

i think there are a lot of interactions between the UHD TV settings, the Shield TV settings and Mythtv settings. If I get it right for one program, it’s a little off on another.

Jim A