[mythtv-users] adding HDHR to system

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 18:40:43 UTC 2019

On 3/2/19 1:29 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 12:07 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/26/19 5:55 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>     > Last project was eliminating my HDHR Quatro and replacing it with a
>     > Hauppauge WinTV Quad.
>     >
>     > That is complete and I'm using XMLTV sdjson_sqlite grabber.  At
>     this
>     > point I'm stable, but on occasions I'm recording on all 4
>     channels of
>     > the WinTV and thought about adding the Quatro back for Live TV only.
>     >
>     > I can use the HDHomerun Viewer to watch live tv on the Quatro, but
>     > it's not integrated with Mythtv.
>     >
>     > So my question is can I add the Quatro back into mythtv using the
>     > Blackbox external recorder, mythhdhrrecorder, and still use my
>     exiting
>     > EPG database I setup for the WinTV using
>     tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. I
>     > don't want to screw up my exiting recordings or pending recordings.
>     > Can I setup the mythtvhdhrrecorder to use my existing SD XMLTV
>     source
>     > or do I have to have a new video source just for the
>     mythhdhrrecorder???
>     >
>     > Jim A
>     >
>     I did some experimenting and I found that you can NOT just add a
>     mythhdhrrecorder tuner and have it use the existing Video Source
>     used by
>     other tuners (WinTV QuadHD). It fails on open.
>
>     So my question: Is there a requirement that each Capture Card have
>     its
>     own separate Video Source defined even if each Video Source is using
>     SchedulesDirect XMLTV sdjson grabber_sqlite? My assumption is a 4
>     tuner
>     card would use the same video source for all 4 tuners. Possibly if
>     you
>     had 2 exact same model Capture Cards then they they might use the
>     same
>     Video Source.
>
>     Are there any hard and fast rules on when you can use the same video
>     source??
>
>     Jim A
>
> There must be something else going on there because I have done
> exactly what you describe several times.
>
> I have 3 lineups - one for OTA US (zipcode), 1 for DirecTV and 1 for
> uVerse. I can bind the OTA lineup to any number of cards/HDHRs
> simultaneously without issue.  Is there anything else in the log when
> you fire the backend back up?

I think this issue is specific to using the Blackbox external recorder,
mythhdhrrecorder. I went back and add the HDHR as HDHR tuners and just
created Input Connections for these tuners using the existing SD video
source and it worked fine.

So I guess if I want to use the mythhdhrrecorder for it's TCP/IP usage
of the HDHR, then I'll have to rebuild from the ground up and define one
video source for the tuners on mythhdhrrecorder and one for the
hauppauge WinTV quad.

Which I will not do, so I'll stuck the what I have.

Jim A