[mythtv-users] New Rpi 4B - looks like it would make a great frontend

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 16:11:51 UTC 2019

> I just saw an ad for the new Raspberry Pi 4B that has just been
> released:
>
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
>
> The specs look very good for a MythTV frontend:
>
> Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
> 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
> 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
> Gigabit Ethernet
> 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
> Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible
> with previous boards)
> 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
> 2-lane MIPI DSI display port
> 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
> 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
> H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
> OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
> Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
> 5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
> 5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
> Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
> Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient
>
> The gigabit Ethernet port is apparently now full speed - not hampered
> by going through a USB port.
>
> If it can really do 4K @ 60 Hz, at that price it makes a frontend per
> room easily affordable.  And those specs are better than the PC I
> first ran MythTV on.

I have the 4GB RAM version of pi 4, so far it looks good.

The operating system changes from Raspbian Stretch to Buster, and is
applicable to all Pi variants now.

It will do 4k @ 60Hz, but software support is limited at this time, and
mythtv will probably need changes.

I have repackaged mythtv-light to run under Buster and tested on Pi 3
and Pi 4  1920x1080 @50Hz, it should also work on Pi 2 (not yet tested).

Anyone wanting to try please see
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3221

Mike