[mythtv-users] MythTV and Hotstar streaming

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Jun 22 19:47:01 UTC 2019

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:40:13 PM MDT Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 20:52:54 -0600, you wrote:
> >I'm thinking of getting a Hoststar (ca.hotstar.com) streaming account to
> >watch the 2019 Cricket World Cup. But since the matches are in the UK
> >they're on at 3 or 4 am for me in Canada.
> >
> >What would I need to do, if it's even possible, to record the match streams
> >to watch later?
>
> How does it work?  What do the URLs look like?  If they are simple
> URLs, then you can create a network tuner and set up the URL as a
> channel for it to record from.  I do that with SAT>IP URLs from my
> SAT>IP tuners.

I finally took a chance and subscribed for a month.

I'm currently watching NZ vs West Indies with Google Chrome on my desktop (not
my MythTV box yet) and the URL is:

https://ca.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/icc-cricket-world-cup-england-and-wales-2019/west-indies-vs-new-zealand-m190761/live-streaming/1440000707

According to them they have streaming rights for 72 hours, but unfortunately
it seems that all the completed matches have a score spoiler, which renders
them pretty pointless for me.

Next up is to try it on my MythTV box, which I've already set up with a Chrome
entry in the menu, and then try to capture the stream, because after 13 years
using MythTV, I'm super-spoiled.

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:55:57 PM MDT John P Poet wrote:

> Are you able to watch it with VLC?  FFmpeg?  GStreamer? StreamLink?  Some
> other command line tool?  If so, you could use the mythexternrecorder
> application to interface between the command line app and mythtv.  The
> requirement  for the command line application is that it must produce a
> transport stream on stdout and errors on stderr.

Errr... I don't know. I just tried vlc https://above-url and all I get is the
pylon.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca