[mythtv-users] DVB-T to DVB-T2 howto?

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 12:46:49 UTC 2019

On 21/06/2019 11:28, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 21/06/2019 11:14, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> - Replace tuner
>>> - Rescan channels
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Stuart
>> Presuming you are on a recent MythTV version, DVB-T2 support is
>> automatic.  If you want to, you can keep your DVB-T tuner and just add
>> a DVB-T2 one.  Or replace the DVB-T card.  Then rescan and it all
>> should work.
>
> If you are using udev rules and/or an dvb-options file in
> /etc/modprobe.d/ for the existing tuner card, changes may be required
> for the new tuner card.
>
> The linux driver in use for the new tuner card is likely different from
> the existing tuner card.
>

> Mike

My test box has two single-tuner devices, one DVB-T only and one
DVB-T/T2/C capable, although I don't have cable.  The transmitter has 6
DVB-T and 3 DVB-T2 transports.   mythtv-setup shows two Video Sources,
one for each device, and I do scans (for All Known Transports) with
each.  It seems to be simplest to delete all channels for that Video
Source before any scan; otherwise conflicts may be reported and I (at
least) feel confused.

I have found that the initial transport list can be mostly populated by
entering the frequency of my main DVB-T2 transport and enabling the
automatic links. YMMV.

Once all this is done the scheduler selects the right devices.  I'm not
absolutely sure that I need both scans, but it all seems to work.  For a
main system you would probably want more tuners.

John P