[mythtv-users] BE3 - Issues with installation and database

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jun 2 12:53:35 UTC 2019

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 11:08:17 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen!
>

>Now the next thing to do is to check and see if the DroidSans.ttf you
>have found is actually a font file, or whether it is a link to somewhere
>else. So what does this command show:
>
>*ll //usr/share/mythtv/fonts//**
>
>    barry at Backend-3:~$ ll /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/*
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 45 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSans-Bold.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSansMono.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSansMono.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSans.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSans.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSerif-BoldItalic.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSerif-Bold.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSerif-Bold.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSerif-Italic.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSerif-Italic.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 49 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/DroidSerif-Regular.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSerif-Regular.ttf
>

>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/FreeMono.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeMono.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 46 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/FreeSansBold.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSansBold.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/FreeSans.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/Purisa.ttf ->
>    ../../fonts/truetype/tlwg/Purisa.ttf
>
>    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 73 May 1 01:02
>    /usr/share/mythtv/fonts/texgyrechorus-mediumitalic.otf ->
>    ../../texmf/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/texgyrechorus-mediumitalic.otf
>

>    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39728 May 1 01:01
>    '/usr/share/mythtv/fonts/Tiresias Infofont Bold.ttf'
>
>    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 44788 May 1 01:01
>    '/usr/share/mythtv/fonts/Tiresias Infofont Italic.ttf'
>
>    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42084 May 1 01:01
>    '/usr/share/mythtv/fonts/Tiresias Infofont.ttf'
>
>    barry at Backend-3:~$
>

>    The first seven are red on guess a charcoal gray. Both sides of the
>    arrow. (So according to my handy-dandy chart “symlink to
>    non-existant file”
>

>    The middle five the left side is a light blue, right side white.
>
>    (So symlink to file?)
>

>    The last three are white.
>
>    (So files?)
>

>    I added the lines spaces to help separate; also noted the
>    directories and what might be a time stamp.

OK, so you do not actually have the font files needed - just symlinks
to where MythTV thinks they should be.  I think I originally got mine
from when I last downloaded and compiled mythtv-master (when it was
v30).  When I installed that for testing, they turned up here:

/usr/local/mythtv-testing/share/mythtv/fonts/

That means they should be freely available fonts.  So I have put them
on my web server:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythtv-fonts.tar.bz2

You can install them by running this:

sudo su
cd /usr/share/mythtv/fonts
wget -c http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythtv-fonts.tar.bz2
rm -v Droid*
tar xvf mythtv-fonts.tar.bz2
rm mythtv-fonts.tar.bz2
exit

If you want to keep the fonts in case there are problems with them
when MythTV is updated, do not do the second rm command and instead
use mv to move the downloaded file to somewhere else where you store
random downloads.  I have a /root/archives directory for storing
things like this.

> [...]
>search of the source code suggests that you should only get that message
>if mythfrontend receives a message intended to be sent by mythbackend to
>itself or another backend. So maybe the RPi mythfrontend is connecting
>to the wrong port on BE3??? Given that error, it is not surprising that
>you also get "Failed to open socket, error was malformed_ann_query" and
>"Failed to open remote file"
>errors.
>
>    Noted that “SRSL” error – whatever that is. At that point when
>    sending I had figured not going off on my own exploring to find the
>    answer might be a good idea temporarily; will look for an answer
>    after posting to you. May be as simple as the RPi needing to have a
>    SSH open. (The “SSH” is just something in a chart I remember on the Pi.)
>
>So exactly how are you running mythfrontend on the RPi? What is in the
>config.xml file? Is that RPi used for accessing other backends? If so,
>how do you get it to swap between the backends?
>
>    That particular RPi is a brand-new unit, using MythTV-Light, and
>    only looks only at BE-3. Where we do most of our TV watching there
>    is a computer configured to BE2 and a RPi configured to BE1. Switch
>    HDMI source to select between computer (BE2) and RPi (BE1).
>

>    The new RPi only looks at BE3, or right now tries to, and is up here
>    in the Computer Room while I work on it.
>

>    Computers and RPi’s will be moved around, updated and reconfigured
>    when BE3 and its Frontends are available. I will admit it’s
>    confusing. BE1, BE2, BE3 and their associated Frontends are all
>    separate systems.
>
>It would also be very useful to see the section of BE3's mythbackend.log
>file from when the RPi was trying to play a BE3 recording.
>
>    /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
>

>    Start June 1 after 10:39:41
>

>    RPi already at the “Watch Recordings” screen.
>

>    Jun 1 10:54:38 Backend-3 mythbackend: mythbackend[1276]: I
>    ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1780 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer:
>    MainServer::ANN Playback
>
>    Jun 1 10:54:38 Backend-3 mythbackend: mythbackend[1276]: I
>    ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1785 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer:
>    adding: rpi(55d5c882dd40) as a client (events: 3)
>
>    Jun 1 10:54:38 Backend-3 mythbackend: mythbackend[1276]: E
>    ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1727 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer:
>    Received malformed ANN query
>
>    Jun 1 10:54:38 Backend-3 mythbackend: mythbackend[1276]: I
>    MythSocketThread(66) mainserver.cpp:7980 (connectionClosed) Control
>    sock(55d5c8836210) disconnected
>
>    Jun 1 10:54:38 Backend-3 mythbackend: mythbackend[1276]: I
>    MythSocketThread(64) mainserver.cpp:7928 (connectionClosed) Playback
>    sock(55d5c882dd40) 'rpi' disconnected
>
>    Jun 1 10:54:41 Backend-3 mythbackend: mythbackend[1276]: N Expire
>    autoexpire.cpp:261 (CalcParams) AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max
>    required Free Space: 1.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
>
>    barry at Backend-3:~$
>

>    So seems whatever question Ann is asking
 <semi-joke>

Whatever is going on, the frontend and backend are not talking to each
other properly.  There is nothing in the logs that I can see that
tells us what the cause of the problem is.  So I would suggest that
you copy the config.xml file from an RPi that is working with one of
the other backends and see if that works on the new RPi.  If it does,
that verifies that the new RPi is set up properly, and we can then go
back to testing with BE3.  If not, then it is something in the RPi
setup.

When you copied the BE3 /etc/mythtv/config.xml file to the RPi, I
presume you edited it to set the correct IP address (as it currently
has localhost).  Did you make any other changes?  Where is it
installed on the RPi?