[mythtv-users] Audio edge case

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Jul 28 10:41:56 UTC 2019

Okay. I'm running 29-fixes on plain Debian Stretch using the deb-multimedia packages. I plan to
upgrade to Buster+30-fixes within the next week, assuming I can get time with everything else that's
going on.

The problem: As I do every year, I record all the BBC Proms - DVB-T, OTA. Normally all works fine,
except for one or two awkward programs that happen to start at 19:00 on BBC4. I get occasions when
there is no audio.

It isn't just the Proms: this can happen to any program that is the first one broadcast when BBC4
starts up. This is literally an edge case, since I have a standard 5 minute pre-roll and therefore
the recording begins before the transmission begins. I have tested these recordings with VLC and,
provided one jumps the initial gap, the record is fine from then on.

What seems to happen is that the stream gets sampled by mythtv at the beginning and whatever is
found for audio and video is taken to be set for the whole transmission. In the old analog days,
this was fine, since it was the encoder setting the format and that wasn't going to change from one
end of the file to the other.

Unfortunately, with DVB you get what you are given and the format can change from moment to moment
throughout the transmission, audio and video both.

My question is: has this edge case been looked at in 30/31/master? Will an upgrade solve this issue
or is there really a problem here that needs some attention?

--

Mike Perkins