[mythtv-users] Channel scan to add new channel not working

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 02:31:14 UTC 2019

> I need to do a channel scan to add a new channel in Australia (SBS World
> Movies), but UI'm having trouble getting it to work.
>
> 1) If I try to initiate a scan from Channel Editor I only get IPTV as the
> Video Source and it won't let me change it. So I can't initiate a scan of
> my DVB channels from there.
>
> 2) So I went to Input Connections and chose one of the 4 tuners (I have a
> HDHomerun Quad). I click Scan For Channels and Full Scan as the Scan Type.
> But the scan is o9ver in about 3 seconds and it says "Failed to find any
> new channels!"
>
> Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong here? I think I must be following
> the wrong process for a channel scan.

Actually, I think I solved this. I think the tuner I'd selected must have
been locked by something. When I selected a different tuner it did a full
channel scan properly.

However, it didn't actually find the new channel so that's another mystery.
Any ideas why it wouldn't find the new channel that my TV effortlessly
added to its line up after a channel scan 20 minutes earlier?

What I want to do is leave the existing channel definitions untouched and
have the scan just add the new channel. I don't want to lose my existing
channel definitions and have to type that all in again. But at the end of
the scan these messages come up and I've never understood what they all
mean. Can anyone please describe what these messages mean at the end of the
scan:

- "Found 40 new conflicting DVB channels". If they're new what are they
conflicting with?
- "Found 30 conflicting old DVB channels". What is the difference between
these "old" channels and the "new" ones in the previous message?