R Kannan rk111810 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 12:38:22 UTC 2019

On 7/20/19 8:00 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:37:03 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> On 20/07/2019 09:15, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> If this is your first network tuner, you may not have done the fix for
>>> getting mythbackend to start up only after the network is actually
>>> available.  So every time you reboot, mythbackend will not see the
>>> network tuner as it starts when only localhost is up.  If it is unable
>>> to test a tuner at startup, it marks it as bad and does not use it. To
>>> test if this is your problem, just restart mythbackend, and as the
>>> network is up now, it will see the network tuners and everything will
>>> work unitl the next reboot.
>>>
>>> If you need that fix, see my post on the recent "Need mythtv-backend
>>> startup advice" thread.
>>>
>> This is getting old. Is anyone going to fix the backend systemd service file so that it does the
>> right thing - wait for the ACTUAL network to be up, not just localhost?
>>
>> That way, we won't keep getting puzzled calls from users whose systems can't find network tuners, etc.
> There are plenty of users who do not need the full network to be up -
> they do not have network tuners and are running just a combined
> backend/frontend.  For them, localhost is all they need.  The
> Mythbuntu install package already asks if you are going to need
> outside access for frontends, or something like that, if I remember
> correctly.  It should change the question to make it clear that
> network tuners are included, and when the answer to that question is
> that the network is needed, it should install the proper systemd
> setup.  Anyone adding network tuners later would then only need to run
> dpkg-reconfigure and change their answer to that question.

Perhaps I did not make it clear enough. Immediately after I installed
the tuner (which a replaced an broken HDHR) MythTV was working fine
three weeks back. I tried Live TV after a recording was missed and found
that MythTV was unabled to tune into HDHR.

Also note that HDHR Config GUI on this box and another device on the
network was able to tune into OTR channels fine.