[mythtv-users] MythTV stopped tuning into HDHomerun connect device

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jul 20 09:18:21 UTC 2019

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:37:03 +0100, you wrote:

>On 20/07/2019 09:15, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>> If this is your first network tuner, you may not have done the fix for
>> getting mythbackend to start up only after the network is actually
>> available.  So every time you reboot, mythbackend will not see the
>> network tuner as it starts when only localhost is up.  If it is unable
>> to test a tuner at startup, it marks it as bad and does not use it. To
>> test if this is your problem, just restart mythbackend, and as the
>> network is up now, it will see the network tuners and everything will
>> work unitl the next reboot.
>>
>> If you need that fix, see my post on the recent "Need mythtv-backend
>> startup advice" thread.
>>
>This is getting old. Is anyone going to fix the backend systemd service file so that it does the
>right thing - wait for the ACTUAL network to be up, not just localhost?
>
>That way, we won't keep getting puzzled calls from users whose systems can't find network tuners, etc.

There are plenty of users who do not need the full network to be up -
they do not have network tuners and are running just a combined
backend/frontend.  For them, localhost is all they need.  The
Mythbuntu install package already asks if you are going to need
outside access for frontends, or something like that, if I remember
correctly.  It should change the question to make it clear that
network tuners are included, and when the answer to that question is
that the network is needed, it should install the proper systemd
setup.  Anyone adding network tuners later would then only need to run
dpkg-reconfigure and change their answer to that question.