[mythtv-users] Mythweb missing menu items

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 12:52:11 UTC 2019

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 6:21 AM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 21:30:07 +0100, you wrote:

>>> The frontend is installed and it can't find any channels either.
>>> That seems to be the problem, I can't setup any channels and if the
>>> starting channel is 0 that of course won't work.
>>> There seem to be many items missing in setup that were there in previous
>>> versions and the online documentation refers to these previous versions.
>>> Im sorry but I can't remember how I did this last time.
>>> Thanks,
>>>   Bert
>>
>> It looks as if your replies have been off-list.  That's not a good idea
>> because I don't use mythweb or networked tuners.  But the list regularly
>> has posts with network tuner problems caused, IIUC, by the backend being
>> started when the first device comes online instead of waiting until all
>> devices are available.  I start the backend and frontend manually -
>> which works for me;  others may be able to improve on my guesses.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> John
>
> If it is the problem where mythbackend starts when the first network
> interface is up (localhost), but before any other networking is up,
> the way to tell is to simply restart mytbackend manually.  For Ubuntu:
>
> sudo systemctl restart mythtv-backend
>
> Doing that starts mythbackend well after all the network interfaces
> are up and it will then see them and be able to talk to the network
> tuners.  Mythbackend it getting started earlier due to the system
> startup working better and faster since systemd.  Each new Ubuntu
> version is better optimised and 18.04 now starts mythbackend very
> quickly after localhost is up, unless it is told not to.  And if you
> have the system on an SSD now, that makes more things start faster in
> parallel.  So anyone who uses network tuners or external frontends (or
> anything that uses the network) with mythbackend now needs the fix for
> this.  There are lots of threads about it.  Here is what I post to
> tell people how to fix it.

> The fix is a bit complicated - you have to make a systemd unit that
> tests for the Ethernet interface actually being up and able to pass
> traffic, and then have mythbackend wait on that unit before it is
> started.  The tools to do this are on my web server.  If you are not
> running a server version of Ubuntu and have not disabled
> NetworkManager, run the following commands to set it all up.  Watch
> out for line wrapping - my email client does that with longer lines
> such as the wget commands, so the wget and the URL after it should be
> on one line.

I cheated, and just put a 30 second delay into the service shell script before mythbackend starts, and I have had no problems since.  :-)

If you choose the simple method above, you may be able to get by with less time.
I don’t start and stop the service very often( maybe once a month) so 30 seconds is no big deal.

Regards!