[mythtv-users] Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems

BP lists at qucae.com
Wed Jul 17 02:42:01 UTC 2019

On 7/16/19 7:26 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have been running Myth for a number of years.  My setup for the past
> couple years has been a Core i5 with 8 gb ram and a 2 Tb hard drive & a
> 4 Tb hard drive recording off the air in the US using a HD Homerun
> connect dual tuner device. I had been running Mythubuntu .27 on Ubuntu
> 16.04. I figured since the boot drive died i would replace the drive and
> upgrade to Mythtv .30 & Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I had no trouble installing
> the software but I can't get it to use both tuners on the hdhomerun. The
> hdhomerun portion of the setup has changed from before. I added the
> hdhomerun and on the status screen it shows input 1: 4 available.  If I
> schedule 2 shows at the same time the first one records fine, but the
> second show displays orange on the screen in the schedule with a
> message "Single record +0 conflicting" and the second show never
> records.  Why would it show the 4 available and only be able to record 1
> thing.  I know to get 4 shows recording 2 of them had to be on sub
> channels of  the same channel and it can only tune to 2 actual stations,
> but it will only record 1 show.  What is the proper way to setup a
> HDHomerun under .30?
>
> Is there a step by step?  What I saw on the MythTV.org site looked like
> the old way of setting it up.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> John

HDHomeRun support was changed to support tuner sharing/locking.  Before,
MythTV assumed nothing else would ever use the tuner.  You created
tuners from each specific tuner on the device (such as tuner 0 on device
X).  Now, you decide how many tuners of the total on the HDHomeRun you
want MythTV to be able to use and create that many tuners all pointing
to the same physical device without specifying the specific tuner.  For
a 4 tuner HDHomeRun, you would create 1-4 tuners in setup all pointing
to the same HDHomeRun device depending on how many you want to use.
Since you set up just one, it will probe the four available for an
unlocked tuner and use it.  It won't ever try to use two because you've
only configured it to use one.

There's some description in this ticket:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13339