[mythtv-users] Frontend locking up and unable to kill it.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 14:32:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:10 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:14:49 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >CTRL-ALT-BS is disabled by default but can be enabled with
> XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" in /etc/default/keyboard The problem
> with CTRL-ALT-BS and Myth is that when the system restarts, a new instance
> of Myth is created. In testing I could get 10 instances of Myth running.
> The solution is to start Myth but not as a service. This change can be made
> in the GUI by editing the auto start command.
> >On my system, CTRL-ALT-BS does the identical thing as systemctl restart
> lightdm from all outward appearances. I see the same text on the terminal
> and they both take just a second or so to restart. I have also read that
> what the CTRL-ALT-BS function does is restart the X session so I don't
> think just restarting X another way is going to solve the problem. I
> believe I will still get the 5 minute delay especially considering shutdown
> now had the delay.
> >Any idea what is hanging up the shutdown? More to the point, how do I
> keep it from doing it?
>
> I am not sure exactly what you are talking about here - what are you
> getting multiple instances of?  "Myth" is not a very specific term.
> Mythfrontend on a Ubuntu system is actually the file
> "/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real", and is run by a script
> "/usr/bin/mythfrontend", which will automatically restart
> "/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real" if it crashes.  So when you kill things
> (such as using Ctrl-Alt-BS), you have to be careful that the
> "/usr/bin/mythfrontend" script gets killed before
> "/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real", or the script will start a new copy of
> "/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real".  So you may need to modify the script,
> or you may need to run "/usr/bin/mythfrontend.real" directly instead
> of using the script, and manually restart it when it crashes.
>
> >Obviously this is a difficult problem to troubleshoot as I have to wait
> for
> >another lock up. But I did a bit of looking and have modified this file
> > /etc/systemd/system.conf
> >And added this line
> >DefaultTimeoutStopSec=4s
> >The default is 90 seconds
> >
> >My thought is that there were 3 or 4 things that had to time out so it
> took
> >5 minutes. With this change it might take only 12 to 16 seconds.
> >

> >Allen
>
> A good thought.  Mythbackend is one of the things that does not shut
> down well when asked to.  It can take quite a while, as systemd waits
> for it to shut down, presumably using that timer.  So working out how
> to get it to shut down rapidly and modifying its systemd settings for
> shutdown would help.  I have suspected for a while that mythbackend
> may have the same problem as mythfrontend, and need to be sent two
> SIGKILL signals before it will shut down.  But I had never bothered to
> test it and find out.  With a bit of searching, I found the "Quickly
> [...]
Regarding CTRL-ALT-BS:
If you let Mythfrontend run as a service you get multiple instances of it
after doing a series of CTRL-ALT-BS restarts just as you say. To prevent
this, I do not run it as a service. We discussed this in another thread
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/624109 The bottom line is I do not run
mythfrontend with the --service option.

Regarding shutdown timer:
The evidence is that the standard shutdown timer is 90 seconds and I am
experiencing about 5 minutes for a shutdown. That suggests that there are
multiple things hung up and that they are being forced to shutdown in
series. I don't see a particular difference between forcing a hung program
to shutdown after 90 seconds or 4 seconds. The question then is there a
program that will shutdown gracefully and take more than 4 seconds to do
so.  The other evidence I have is that doing CTRL-ALT-BS restarts in less
than 4 seconds. That suggests that there is not a program that takes longer
than 4 seconds to gracefully shutdown and the 4 second timer should be fine.

Allen