[mythtv-users] The video format served by MythTV

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 16:50:14 UTC 2019

On 11/07/2019 13:38, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11 2019 at  6:11 +02, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 10 2019 at 18:12 +02, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> A moment ago I asked Oculus about the formats supported by Gallery.
>
> Oculus responded quite quickly: the supported formats are listed at
>
> https://support.oculus.com/164308327569416/#faq_164308327569416
>
> namely
>
>      mp4 m4v 3gp 3g2
>      webm mkv wmv avi
>

>> Perhaps I should switch on auto-transcoding in the Recording Profiles?
>> To say the truth, this part of configuration is a complete mystery to me
>> despite reading https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Recording_Profiles.
>
> There is a lot of information concerning transcoding on the MythTV wiki,
> but I find it rather confusing. Anybody willing to provide some
> fool-proof guidance?
>
> Best regards
>
> Janusz

I hadn't heard of this device until I saw your posts, so I may be
mistaken.  But I suspect that you may need to work from

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming_Server

which appears to use JW Player to do the transcoding.  I believe that
most of the MythTV transcoding stuff, apart from the 'lossless' -mpeg2
option, will produce .nuv files which are fading into obsolescence.

But that streaming reference dates from 2016 and ISTR that someone had
problems with it recently.  I may have tried it long ago.

John P