[mythtv-users] Frontend locking up and unable to kill it.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 05:33:43 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 9:27 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 17:44:59 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Twice now the frontend has frozen. If that were not bad enough, I am
> unable
> >to kill it. I have remotely tried to kill it and what I find is a status
> >message on the main screen saying the program has become unresponsive and
> >do I want to shut it down.  But with no visible cursor I cannot click on
> >"Yes" and it does not respond to "Y" from the keyboard. I did a "sudo
> >shutdown now -r" from the remote and the link was immediately cut but the
> >myth computer did not shut down. It is as if mythfrontend was blocking all
> >attempts to close it. I finally held the power button down long enough to
> >turn the computer off and when I restarted it, all was fine. There is just
> >a short section in the frontend log between when my wife started watching
> >her show and the freeze. No log entries after the freeze until the
> restart.
> >
> >Jul  3 07:33:33 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: I
> >CoreContext tv_play.cpp:2532 (HandleStateChange) TV::HandleStateChange():
> >Changing from None to WatchingRecording
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: I
> >CoreContext tv_play.cpp:2638 (HandleStateChange) TV::HandleStateChange():
> >Main UI disabled.
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: I
> >CoreContext tv_play.cpp:424 (StartTV) TV::StartTV(): Entering main
> playback
> >loop.
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: N
> >CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2231 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(f): Waited
> >101ms for video buffers AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: N
> >CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2231 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(f): Waited
> >203ms for video buffers AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: N
> >CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2231 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(f): Waited
> >305ms for video buffers LAAAAAAAAAAAAA
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: I
> >CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:615 (CheckOutputSurfaces) VDPAU: Added 2
> >output surfaces (total 4, max 4)
> >Jul  3 07:33:34 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: N
> >CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2231 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(f): Waited
> >102ms for video buffers dLAAAAAAAAAAAA
> >Jul  3 07:35:29 NewMyth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1555]: E Decoder
> >mythplayer.cpp:3504 (DecoderGetFrame) Player(f): Decoder timed out waiting
> >for free video buffers.
> >
> >Nothing here that means anything to me that tells me what happened or what
> >to do.
> >
> >Ideally someone can help figure out what is causing the freezes but short
> >of that, how can I shutdown the system?
> >
> > What I tried:
> >sudo kill 1555
> >sudo kill -9 1555
> > sudo killall  mythfrontend.re
> [...]

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the syslog and other than I am no expert
on what is normal and what is not the best I can tell the system was
running just fine except mythfrontend was locked. When I logged in remotely
it seemed normal. I ran "top" and was able to see normal sort of readouts
which is how I found the PID of mythfrontend. I ran the sudo kill 1555 and
it did nothing.  PID 1555 was still running.  The UI on the local display
(I have two displays, a TV and a LCD display) looked to be working normally
except there was no cursor. But I could more the invisible cursor over to
the menu area and click and get drop downs and such. From syslog it looks
like the system ran a daily cron job after mythfrontend crashed. It seemed
to terminate normally.I can see my remote login in syslog and I can see
when that ended, which was when I did the shutdown.

I find this set of entries odd.  It starts with the stopping of my remote
session (dad) and there is nothing of the same sime sequence above that one
(well there is one).  What is odd is that the time stamp on the second to
last one before the start is out of time sequence.

Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopped Stop ureadahead data collection
45s after completed startup.
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopping Session c1 of user dad.
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopping ACPI event daemon...
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopping RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy
Service...
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopped target Timers.
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopped Daily Cleanup of Temporary
Directories.
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopping Session 596 of user dad.
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopping Disk Manager...
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopped target Sound Card.
Jul  3 07:51:36 NewMyth systemd[1]: Stopping User Manager for UID 1000...
Jul  3 07:35:06 NewMyth rsyslogd: message repeated 8 times: [ [origin
software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.16.0" x-pid="777" x-info="
http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HU
Ped]
Jul  3 07:51:38 NewMyth rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
swVersion="8.16.0" x-pid="777" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on
signal 15.
Jul  3 07:55:21 NewMyth rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
swVersion="8.16.0" x-pid="821" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start

I am running the latest Mythbuntu
Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS