[mythtv-users] DVB-S2: How to decrypt a channel with card TBS6590

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 20:59:49 UTC 2019

Great that this works! I could have thought of this earlier but with
hindsight everything is easy....

About your card, it is just my guess, but I think that your card is
essentially two adapters on one PCB. This means that one CAM is for
one adapter and the other CAM is for the other adapter. This means
that to receive two different encrypted channels you need two CAMs and
two smartcards.

There is this feature called "multirec" and this means you can receive
with one adapter more than one channel of the same multiplex, possibly
all channels. You can specify the maximum number of channels for this
in mythtv-setup. This does work OK for channels that are NOT
encrypted.
CAMs and smartcards can handle at least two channels simultaneously.
However, there is a bug in MythTV that causes recordings to fail when
two recordings of encrypted channels start at the same time. This is
somewhere on my personal pre-ticket list....

About DVB-T. Keep in mind that one adapter on your TBS card does have
two frontends but it is really one device. MythTV does support only
static configuration of tuner cards, with the delivery system selected
in mythtv-setup. It is possible to mix DVB-T and DVB-T2 because that
happens on terrestrial broadcast and it is possible to mix DVB-S and
DVB-S2 because that is what is on satellites. I do not expect video
sources consisting of arbitrary mixes of delivery systems, or more
than one video source connected to a single capture card, to be
supported in MythTV anytime soon.

I definitely recommend adding tuner cards, as there is no limit for
this in MythTV!

Groetjes,
Klaas.