[mythtv-users] Previous recordings have disappeared

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 03:55:54 UTC 2019

On 1/29/19 9:25 PM, Darby Vicker wrote:
>> On 01/28/2019 08:14 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 19:51:31 -0700, you wrote:
>>>>> What exactly do you mean by "none actually show up"?
>>>>> Are there no recordings listed, or are they showing
>>>>> with an X icon and can not be played?
>>>> There are no recordings listed.
>> ...
>>> I can remember a bug that could do this to you,
>> Check your log files from mythfrontend for something to the effect of:
>> RemoteGetRecordingList(): list size appears to be incorrect.
>> and/or
>> PlaybackBox::UpdateUILists(): SortedList is Empty
>> if you get that, you probably have one or more null characters in some
>> of the data about the recorded programs.  That invalid data is
>> preventing the list of programs from being received by the frontend, so
>> the frontend has nothing to show.
>>>    but I think it was
>>> fixed before 0.27.
>> If it's the issue I'm mentioning above, I think it can still occur if
>> someone/something puts a null character in various parts of the program
>> data.  IIRC, we only fixed some of the programs that didn't check
>> externally-provided data (such as mythfilldatabase and mythbackend's
>> EIT) to check for/remove nulls before insertion, and we still assume
>> that database data is valid (does not contain null characters), rather
>> than scrubbing the data every single time we read from the database.
> I didn't find anything like that in the logs
> [root at c6 mythtv]# grep -i incorrect *.log
> [root at c6 mythtv]# grep -i size *.log
> [root at c6 mythtv]# grep -i sort *.log
> I did see lots of these:
> [root at c6 mythtv]# grep -i empty *.log
> mythbackend.20190105194813.20844.log:2019-01-05 13:48:13.734557 N
> [20844/20844] CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:504 (LoadDatabaseSettings) -
> Empty LocalHostName.
> mythbackend.20190106035956.3148.log:2019-01-05 20:59:56.375710 N
> [3148/3148] CoreContext mythcontext.cpp:504 (LoadDatabaseSettings) -
> Empty LocalHostName.
> But these are in all my log files from last year too, when everything
> was working fine.

Right, those messages (which have been improved in v30.0) just mean
that your hostname will be used, not overridden from config.xml.
Expect to see then on every startup of the BE/FE.

 From your favorite browser, see if this shows all your recordings:


If a list of recordings is returned, contents of <HostName>...</HostName>
should match the output of the GetHostName.

A full log is preferred. Start your frontend, attempt to look at your
recordings (which we know fails) and then exit the frontend.

Next, look in mythfrontend.log and find the very last line that looks
similar to this:

   mythfrontend version: master [v31-Pre-21-ge961d05aa1] www.mythtv.org

Copy from that line to the end of the file and put in in pastebin.com.
Put a link to that pastebin here.  Sometimes others can spot something
in the log that will help. We may want to repeat this for mythbackend.log.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list