[mythtv-users] V30 frontend on Raspberry PI3 B+

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Tue Jan 29 21:51:07 UTC 2019

---- On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 01:12:09 +0000 James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote ----

Since I now have my production system on V30 I thought I'd test the v30

mythfrontend on my RP3 B+.

I used the standard Wiki instructions for mythtv-light on the RP3. I

know it's subjective, but I think the playback of OTA MPEG2 recordings

is a little smoother than it was on v29.1 It's still not as smooth as

the Shield TV version of v30 Mythtv-frontend, but it's close. When I'm

not in test engineer mode, I could watch it with no issues.

However, I did manage to do something that I've not done is years, I

locked up the backend  using the frontend.  I clicked on Watch TV and

the frontend never started playing any video.  After a couple of minutes

I Ctrl-Alt-F1 and logged in to reboot.  But before I messed with the RP3

again I went to the Shield TV and it could not connect with the backend

either.  So I ssh'ed into the backend and looked at the log. Nothing

unusual after the video started and nothing until I ran "systemctl

restart mythtv-backend".

Everything recovered nicely, but no record of why the backend locked

up.  When I use the systemctl restart it took about 5 minutes before it

completed. I don't know for sure because I had to leave the room. Not

sure of the version that locked up, but I had updated all mythtv

software yesterday.  While I had the backend down, I updated again today

with a new verision.

(30.0+fixes-autobuild.201901261750.f11c5ab~ubuntu18.04.1). The RP3

version is mythtv-light/stretch,now 30.0-3-g44fee4bc8a-0 armhf

Jim A

i too upgraded my system to 30 today. while i do have rpi3 FE's, it wasnt the reason mine crashed.

git'd both the BE and primary FE this morning since centos repo's haven't got 30 yet. All seemed to be working fine when I tested in the afternoon but then the other half got her fingers on the remote about 8pm and saw a segfault in mythBE after she clicked into liveTV & then guide. nothing that looks useful to bug yet, but i'll keep an eye on it&git commits. See if i can get time tomorrow to figure out which verbose options i need to start the BE with for more info.