[mythtv-users] Shield fronrend and video playback times

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:05:29 UTC 2019

On 1/29/19 10:52 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> [...]
>>             >> > > words, while the video is still playing, the
>>             progress show it at the end
>>             >> > > already.
>>             >> > >
>>             >> > > I watch Nova (and others) on PBS here and they all
>>             show the symptom.  I
>>             >> > am
>>             >> > > unsure exactly when it happens, but I have watched
>>             3 this morning and
>>             >> > they
>>             >> > > all jump to the end. If I set a bookmark, it
>>             actually sets it at the end
>>             >> > > of the video even though there is really 20
>>             minutes left to play.
>>             >> > >
>>             >> > > Recorded from HDHR.  I see it on other local
>>             channels as well, but not as
>>             >> > > frequent and I have not analysed video when it
>>             happens.
>>             >> > >
>>             >> > > Anyone else experience this?
>>             >> >
>>             >> > I've seen that on KERA recordings too.  The same
>>             symptom (I don't know
>>             >> > if its the same problem) occurs very frequently with
>>             live TV.
>>             >>
>>             >> Have you marked the PBS channel as commercial free?
>>             Perhaps its only
>>             >> finding one commercial break near the end and jumping
>>             to it immediately.
>>             >
>>             >It is marked as commfree.  This looks to be a classic
>>             case of
>>             >mis-counting frames, eiter building the seek table or
>>             playing back,
>>             >that crops up every once in a while.
>>

>>         This channel is marked as commfree here as well (since it
>>         never has commercials).
>>
>>             >David
>>
>>             In the past when I have had a file like this, running
>>             "mythcommflag
>>             --rebuild" on a recording has usually fixed it.  That
>>             trick may only
>>             work for older similar problems, but it is worth trying.
>>             I have a
>>             user job set up with this command that makes it easy to
>>             do that for a
>>             recording file:
>>

>>         It only happens on my Shield.
>>

>>             mythcommflag --rebuild -f %FILE%
>>

>>     It just happened on ABC (WFAA here in D/FW).  The Good Doctor
>>     (even though the track shows "The Bachelor" inside it).
>>

>     I just went in to check "The Good Doctor" from last night. It
>     started playing from the beginning and no issues. When I went into
>     edit mode and loaded the commercial cut list it should 4 or 5 of
>     them. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it seems normal to me.
>     Mine was recorded from ABC 11 in Raleigh-Durham, NC using a HDHR
>     Connect tuner. Shield TV frontend was v30-983.
>
>     Jim A
>

> Just to avoid confusion, playback is always OK.  The issue is the time
> calculation.  It was 59:57 long and about 45 minutes into it, I
> pressed Info to check it.  The bar shows 59:57 of 59:57

Not sure if this test is valid, but I used the down arrow to skip 10
minutes at a time until I was at about 40 and 50 minutes. At that point
the pause showed the info bar and the time was right.

I've only used the bookmarks you get when you exit and it asked if you
want to remember the current position and exit or not.

I wanted a CBS show yesterday to test the video quality between v30
Shield and v30 RP3 and I used the exit saving bookmark option a lot
switch between frontends.  never had an issue.

Let me know if you can skip to 40 minutes and then reproduce your issue.
I hesitate to watch the whole Good Doctor. Not one of my shows. :-)

Jim A