[mythtv-users] First time NVidia Shield + Remote Setup

A D ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:31:19 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:13 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM A D <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If you are not recording TV (or from a STB), then MythTV should not be
>>> your choice.  There are way better suited media slingers out there with
>>> apps for most devices already available.
>>>

>> I am sorry but don't agree with that - I have been using Myth for 12 odd
>> years. When Comcast/Xfinity started encrypting TV channels, I stopped the
>> TV recording on my end. However, I love Myth platform and even though there
>> may be million other offerings that can do something better, I prefer
>> keeping my bond with Myth.
>>
>> Appreciate the input, though.

> No worries - I can appreciate that.  The remote for the shield is pretty
> nice to use, but the new LONGPRESS entries in MythTV are non-intuitive, so
> I gave up trying to make them work.  Every time I tried to train one in
> MythTV, the short button press kicked in and MythTV acted on it.  I am
> unsure how to get them working, but since I have the Harmony stuff, I did
> not dwell on it too long and just use my harmony mapped to my keys as
> always.  If you are going to use multiple Shields, I recommend upon first
> cofig of the frontend to make a unique identifier you can distinguish so
> MythTV does no make them all seem similar (in case you want to copy the
> keymappings from one Shield to the other in the database without having to
> go through it all over again).
>
> -Greg

I honestly don't see myself getting multiple Shields - however, if the
"right" way is to make a unique identifier - I guess I should do it that
way? Is there a step by step somewhere on setting up the remote? Or should
I search it online? I am asking here on our forums since need to customize
it for my Myth

Being that it's an Android apk - a dumb question maybe - does the Shield
play the video files (again, not the TV recordings but the movie "mkv",
"avi" etc files) natively? I have Plex that can transcode but i want the
ability to play it natively. So I bought this knowing it can play H.265,
UHD, - will Myth let me play as such even if my mkv movies are 4K?