[mythtv-users] RAID 1 mirror with mythtv backend???

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:42:23 UTC 2019

On 1/23/19 11:31 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
> But lately I've started to have a mdadm failure about every 2-3 weeks.

This is not acceptable.

> were Toshiba P300 desktop drives.  Once I remove the drive I ran
> Spinrite 6 on them that reads and writes every sector on the drive.  It
> found no errors.

No need for that snake oil.

> What are the opinions on using RAID mirrors for mythtv recordings. Does
> that cause more problems than it's worth??

RAID should not cause problems.  Its goal is to minimize downtime in the
case of the inevitable hardware failure.  It can also prevent data loss
if you put all of your eggs in one basket of a single drive and do not
have backups for some reason.

If you have a drive that you're wondering whether it's good or not, post
the SMART output for that drive.   e.g.:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

If you're having drives fail prematurely, then that could be a symptom
of having a hostile environment.  (e.g. too hot, bad voltage, etc.)
If there's nothing internally wrong with the drive, then I'd suspect
some other problem, such as cabling, the controller, or other.

-WD