[mythtv-users] RAID 1 mirror with mythtv backend???

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:31:45 UTC 2019

I know others have used RAID mirrors on their mythtv backend. I have had
my latest system running with 2 RAID 1 mirrors (4 drives) for about a
year. Besides general file serving I have /mnt/recordings-tv1 on one
mirror and /mnt/recordings-tv2 on the other. I have both the
/mnt/recordings-tv1 and 2 defined in the volumes section mythtv-setup.

I had a drive fail last spring and replaced it and added the new one
back into the mirror with no problems after recovering.

But lately I've started to have a mdadm failure about every 2-3 weeks.
At first I thought it might be the fact that my latest batch of drives
were Toshiba P300 desktop drives.  Once I remove the drive I ran
Spinrite 6 on them that reads and writes every sector on the drive.  It
found no errors.

This has happened twice with the Toshiba drives.  I order some Seagate
Iron Wolf server drives made for NAS usage. In fact I had to put one
into service today.  I'm recovering the mirror now.

What are the opinions on using RAID mirrors for mythtv recordings. Does
that cause more problems than it's worth?? I'm debating going back to a
2 drive mirror for general NAS usage just for home data storage where
the activity is very low. And then having a mythtv box just for backend
with 2 drives just for recordings.

I'm getting tired of replacing drives.  I'm am grateful about not losing
any data so far, but it's becoming a pain.

Thoughts?