[mythtv-users] Recording failure.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:34:45 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 7:20 AM Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/01/2019 05:17, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > The biggest problem with using re.local is that any command that fails
> > instantly terminates rc.local - no further commands are executed.  So
> > doing a series of commands as you are in rc.local is not a good idea.
> > It is much better to get rc.local to run a separate script.  So you
> > would put your commands in a script such as
> > /usr/local/bin/start-hdhrs.sh, and then run that from rc.local like
> > this:
>
> A simpler solution, if rc.local's termination behaviour is not desired,
> is to change it. Simply remove the "-e" from the first line in the
> script so that /bin/sh is not called with the -e parameter.

rc.local runs fine.  It is just that the HDHR which is initialized by
rc.local quit responding.  I never turn my system off so I would say that
the HDHR was probably running for several months before it suddenly became
unresponsive. The strange thing is that the last time it happened, it was
at about the same time of day thus missing one show late at night and the
show the next morning before it was discovered.

That said, I did notice the behavior in rc.local where if there is an error
it terminates. If I ever change it, I run it from the command line where I
can see the error messages.

Allen