[mythtv-users] Nvidia Shield Is the future of Mythtv Frontend

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Jan 7 17:09:11 UTC 2019

On 1/7/19 9:25 AM, Anthony Brummett wrote:
> I have my own question about using remotes with the Shield.  Looks
> like the remote that comes with it only has a few buttons.  How well
> does it work with MythTV?  Can you plug in an MCE-compatible receiver
> and supply your own remote?

I have two shields and use two different/similar methods

1) Primary shield - Harmony hub/Remote - Bind the shield to the Harmony
hub to control the shield itself.    Then go back and add a Windows
keyboard (Bluetooth emulation) to the hub and bind it to the shield
too.    Now you have the primary shield commands on your remote and you
can add any additional keys via the emulated bluetooth keyboard.

2) Secondary - Harmony IR remote + Flirc receiver.    Flirc emulates a
USB keyboard.   Programmed the remote with the Flirc software first for
the shield and map the keys.   Then switch to full keyboard mode and add
all the additional keys for mythtv.

So, on both remotes, I have a full/native remote experience with the
shield and with MythTV without log key presses, etc.

Michael