[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:30:19 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 10:22 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1/2/19 10:55 AM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 6:14 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 1/1/19 6:23 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018, 6:17 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just complete the upgrade of my Front End to a 4K Nvidia Shield.
>>>

> Are there multiple "models" ? I see one on sale at Amazon/Target for $149
> and then Best Buy with $179. Tried looking at both but none really gives a
> "model number".
>
> I ordered from Amazon and I to the model that has the game controller.

What is the game controller for? I mean if I get the $149 with the shield
and remote only, what am I losing out on?

> [...]
> had the smaller Shield which is the latest version. I got P2897. The long
> dimension on the Shield is only ~1" longer than the TV remote. I got it on
> sale just after Christmas for $169. The official name in Amazon is NVIDIA
> SHIELD TV Gaming Edition | 4K HDR Streaming Media Player with GeForce NOW.
>

>> Thank you. I have been eyeing one lately since I see them on samjhe a
>> lot. Curious  - if 4K id only via streamed content, is there any major
>> tipping points to Shield vs say Firestick 4K? I only ask because that is
>> under $60 setup...
>>
>>> It's plugged into the HDMI port of a UHD Samsung 4K TV. I have it
>>> networked to the mythtv-backend via GBe cable.  But all the content I have
>>> access to for Mythtv is 1080i/720p. I can stream 4K content from a number
>>> of sources but all are thru a service like Prime Video, etc. I went this
>>> way because of cost and video quality. It's a perfect frontend for
>>> Mythtv-frontend, Kodi, Sling, ESPN, Prime Video.
>>>

> So what I don't get is - if we have a UHD 4K TV that has say
> Prime/Netflix/Hulu app on it - why do we need to go via a FE? Can't we get
> the "best" pic out directly off the TV apps? And if so, our only "need"
> should be to get the best picture when playing off our Myth, correct? I see
> a lot of answers here and other posts referring to Amazon Prime 4K content
> - and I am just trying to see what I may be doing or thinking conceptually
> wrong in my design.
>
> My foremost need is to allow my FE to play H.265, hopefully play any UHD
> content I may have, and to have the ability to pass whatever audio it may
> have without compressing it.
>
> It seems that VDPAU won't play 4K but VAAPI and/or VAAPI 2 would at 30
> fps? Is that possible with Firestick/Shield?
>
> Well I think it comes down to use case for your TV watching. First My
> Samsung UHD has a few very shitty apps and they are slow on SlingTV, Hulu,
> Prime Video, etc. The HDHR view is not very good for my usage for Live TV.
> There is also no builtin app for Mythtv.  So I can add another
> PC/RP3/Shield to do the mythtv frontend via an HDMI port.  With the PC/RP3,
> I still need a Roki or FireTV stick to get the streaming services.  With
> the Shield I get a Mythtv Frontend, and all the Android apps for streaming
> services. Mythtv doesn't support 4k yet, neither does SlingTV.  Prime has
> some 4K. Unless I clean my glasses and stop drinking bourbon, I can't see
> the difference between 4k and 1080P.
>
> Not to some audio issues. A lot of this falls on the AVR. Mine will decode
> Dobly Digital plus and DTS-HD, but will not pass thru 4k 59.945hz. When I
> hook up the Shield to the TV it connects at 4k 59.945hz. but when I hook up
> to the AVR It's 4k 30 or 29.9hz. The UHD TV can pass the audio back to the
> AVR via Optical, but only at DTS Surround 2:5 Neo.  So for me it's a
> compromise on audio or video or buy all new expensive stuff.  Since I own
> no 4k content, it's not a problem for me.

Thank you, my Denon will pass through all the choices so I see nVidia
supports them in passthrough. I am leaning more and more towards this as a
frontend as long as the native myth is working great here. I have Plex/Kodi
option already so I am not looking to have any transcoded video as a FE
option. I want something native. I have a few H.265 movies and a few UHD
movies so I am just trying to weigh in everything before I plunge in.
Knowing myself, I will probably use this till black fumes start coming out
of those! :)