[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:55:50 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 6:14 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1/1/19 6:23 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018, 6:17 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> I just complete the upgrade of my Front End to a 4K Nvidia Shield.

Are there multiple "models" ? I see one on sale at Amazon/Target for $149
and then Best Buy with $179. Tried looking at both but none really gives a
"model number".

> Thank you. I have been eyeing one lately since I see them on samjhe a lot.
> Curious  - if 4K id only via streamed content, is there any major tipping
> points to Shield vs say Firestick 4K? I only ask because that is under $60
>  setup...
>
>> It's plugged into the HDMI port of a UHD Samsung 4K TV. I have it
>> networked to the mythtv-backend via GBe cable.  But all the content I have
>> access to for Mythtv is 1080i/720p. I can stream 4K content from a number
>> of sources but all are thru a service like Prime Video, etc. I went this
>> way because of cost and video quality. It's a perfect frontend for
>> Mythtv-frontend, Kodi, Sling, ESPN, Prime Video.

So what I don't get is - if we have a UHD 4K TV that has say
Prime/Netflix/Hulu app on it - why do we need to go via a FE? Can't we get
the "best" pic out directly off the TV apps? And if so, our only "need"
should be to get the best picture when playing off our Myth, correct? I see
a lot of answers here and other posts referring to Amazon Prime 4K content
- and I am just trying to see what I may be doing or thinking conceptually
wrong in my design.

My foremost need is to allow my FE to play H.265, hopefully play any UHD
content I may have, and to have the ability to pass whatever audio it may
have without compressing it.

It seems that VDPAU won't play 4K but VAAPI and/or VAAPI 2 would at 30 fps?
Is that possible with Firestick/Shield?