[mythtv-users] Need guidance for setting up a 4K frontend

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:41:52 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 5:32 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/1/19 6:23 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:
>

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2018, 6:17 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
>> I just complete the upgrade of my Front End to a 4K Nvidia Shield.
>>

> Thank you. I have been eyeing one lately since I see them on samjhe a lot.
> Curious  - if 4K id only via streamed content, is there any major tipping
> points to Shield vs say Firestick 4K? I only ask because that is under $60
>  setup...
>
>> It's plugged into the HDMI port of a UHD Samsung 4K TV. I have it
>> networked to the mythtv-backend via GBe cable.  But all the content I have
>> access to for Mythtv is 1080i/720p. I can stream 4K content from a number
>> of sources but all are thru a service like Prime Video, etc. I went this
>> way because of cost and video quality. It's a perfect frontend for
>> Mythtv-frontend, Kodi, Sling, ESPN, Prime Video.
>>

> Does it play lossless audio? TrueHD, DTS-HD?
>
>> As an added benefit it's a very good gaming platform, but that's based on
>> an old guys opinion who rarely games. My son things it's pretty good, but
>> he's a slave to the PC gaming experience.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

>> I have been using a fire stick 4K for a few weeks now and it has worked
> perfectly, but MythTV cannot play 4K content at this time. I don't have any
> 4K recordings anyway. I have not tried digital audio from MythTV on the
> fire stick 4K.

I don't have optic cable - my audio also goes via HDMI. I understand it's
still digital but just wanted to be clear that both audio/video is via
HDMI. And i have quite a few movies with TrueHD that seems to be "down
converted" to compressed 7.1

Just wondering if i am making a new FE, might as make one that can be
future proof...