[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:48:18 UTC 2019

Hi Jay!

> I am using what is called a 4-bay antenna and came fully assembled. All I had to do was take it out of box, mount it on a ?J-pole?, and bolt the bole mount to the house. These are useful when you have only UHF stations that need a mid range antenna.  They do not look like the old antennas that used to be on the top of houses, but rather is less than 3 ft tall by about 2 feet wide by 5 inches deep.  The antenna needs to be oriented so that the side with the ?whiskers? is facing the direction of the broadcast tower(ideally). My neighbors ask about this, expecting an antenna that is 6 or 8 feet long with rods sticking out from each side several feet.

I think your four-bay antenna is similar to mine except is a two-bay –
the four-bay version is marketed for a greater distance to the
transmitter. Have two plus a unidirection antenna: have two Backends
plus an antenna for TV reception. One of the two-bay antennae receives
the local VHF station (RF 4) as-is, the other needed a pair of ‘rabbit
ears’. Theoretically identical antennae and location. Learned the
off-the-shelf-of-the-box-store ‘combiner’ isn’t the way to combine a VHF
signal and a UHF signal. Sounded right! Need a ‘diplexer’, which is a I
guess essentially a tuned combiner.

Barry