[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:32:01 UTC 2019

> On Feb 26, 2019, at 3:52 PM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 12:37 PM Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com <mailto:barry3martin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Allen!
>
>> If you look at the one star reviews on the Winegard that I linked most seem
>> to me to be people could not figure out how to assemble them.  Then if you
>> look at the antennas they push in their ads, they come assembled with built
>> in antennas.  They can drive splitters without doing anything. Give up some
>> theoretical performance for a antenna for dummies approach.  I read a post
>> on Twitter recently that suggested we should just accept the fact that half
>> the country is stupid. It think lacking education is a better description
>> but with a majority of one party saying that education is detrimental to
>> the country I fear for the future https://pewrsr.ch/2T1JwvC <https://pewrsr.ch/2T1JwvC>
> I have also read reviews where us common-folk have had difficulty assembling. I will admit to occasionally being in that group but can sometimes blame on ‘cartoon instructions’: drawings instead of written words. ...It would be funny-ha-ha if my reception problems were do to improper antenna assembly! (I have done some testing which by-passed or or would other wise verify is correct.)
> In the theoretical world there is no signal deterioration; in the real world all sorts of signal loss. I was reminded of and learned a lot more about it when researching on-line not so much why I was having reception problems but how to correct or at least work-around.
> I tend to agree with your statement of “it’s not half the country is stupid but lacking education”. I’ll admit to barely having a clue as to what’s going on under the hood of my car but I do know basic electricity/electronics. I do call on someone else to diagnose and repair my car.
> Barry
>
> I recall being at a friends house to watch a game and the reception was terrible. He had the antenna pointed in the exact wrong direction, 180 degrees wrong. He thought the swept forward reflectors were the arrow pointing at the front.  Sometimes manufacturers just don't realize that if you don't know a little antenna theory, you might not know which end is up.  We all have made those mistakes and hopefully learned from them.

I am using what is called a 4-bay antenna and came fully assembled. All I had to do was take it out of box, mount it on a ‘J-pole’, and bolt the bole mount to the house. These are useful when you have only UHF stations that need a mid range antenna.  They do not look like the old antennas that used to be on the top of houses, but rather is less than 3 ft tall by about 2 feet wide by 5 inches deep.  The antenna needs to be oriented so that the side with the ‘whiskers’ is facing the direction of the broadcast tower(ideally). My neighbors ask about this, expecting an antenna that is 6 or 8 feet long with rods sticking out from each side several feet. :-).

Regards.