[mythtv-users] hdhomerun pixelation

glen glenb at glenb.us
Sun Feb 24 21:26:17 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-02-24 at 15:43 -0500, Jay Harbeston wrote:
> > On Feb 24, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > On 2/24/19, Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am currently using 2 HDHR4-2US tuners that replaced 2 HDHR3-2US
> > > tuners.
> > > The HDHR3 tuners exhibited the drop every few minutes or so,
> > > causing
> > > pixellation as you described for one(real channel 46) of the 4
> > > broadcast
> > > stations here. This was also a known problem with these tuners
> > > before the
> > > HDHR4 came out. In earlier versions of the firmware the glitches
> > > were
> > > longer, and more frequent.
> > >
> > > The HDHR4 tuners I currently use do not have this problem for any
> > > of the
> > > channels available locally.
> > >
> > > Every once in awhile, I do some testing with the HDHR3 tuners and
> > > I still
> > > see the problems with them using the latest firmware for the
> > > HDHR3.
> > >
> > > Regards.
> >
> > I just saw this after I posted my reply. Very interesting, as this
> > sounds like it may in fact be the same thing I've experienced with
> > NBC
> > out of NYC after they moved. To clarify one thing: I only use the
> > command line hdhomerun_config. When everyone refers to "symbol
> > quality" is that the same as the "seq" (signal error quality as
> > I've
> > always understood) in the command line version?:
>

> I think the mapping to the gui description follows:
>
> ss= signal strength
> Snq = signal quality
> Seq = symbol quality
>
> When I was seeing the screen ‘sparkle’ , the symbol quality would
> drop and that is what I am referring to when using the HDHR3.  I
> haven’t ever seen this condition when using the HDHR4.
>
> I use a unix shell to log to a database every 10 seconds the results
> from the command line using the following mapping as follows(there’s
> more to the shell script, but this is the meat of it):
>
> results=`hdhomerun_config $hdhr get /tuner$tuner/status 2> /dev/null
> | grep -v "ch=none"`
>       if [ "x$results" = "x" ]
>       then
>           continue
>       fi
>
>       set -k `echo $results`
>
>       chaninfo=$1
>       lockinfo=$2
>       siginfo=$3
>       qualinfo=$4
>       seqinfo=$5
>       bpsinfo=$6
>       ppsinfo=$7
>
>       tmpval=`echo $chaninfo | sed -e "s/^.*://"`
>       if [ $tmpval -gt 100 ]
>       then
>         freq=$tmpval
>         channel=${chanfreq[$freq]}
>       else
>         channel=$tmpval
>         freq=${chanfreq[$channel]}
> [...]

i switched from two 7 year old  hdhr3-us tuners to one quatro.
on the hdhr3, they did issue a fix for a 30 second dropout. i had this
issue on one channel abc out of los angeles and this in fact did
resolve the symbol quality dropping to 0 every 30 seconds. that fix is
here:
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun3_8vsb_30s_solution.pdf

on the quatro, i had a few issues. the first was that in my network i
got bad breakup with more than 2 tuners active. sd tested and told me
internal network issue. i switched to mythhdrecorder as external
recorder and got streams over http and that problem cleared up. i also
had reception problems with a lot of jumping around on signal quality
and sometimes symbol quality (resulting in dropout). i am in first
floor condo, so i don't have a lot of anntena options and rely on
reflected signal paths. i got this amplifier which separates out uhf
and vhf and went to one antenna for vhf and one for uhf and i got the
problem solved.
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1Z-Preamplifier-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B003P92D9Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

i am able to get every ota station in my area without breakups at all.
however the repack in my area is already causing a problem on my pbs
station, but i have not had the time to try to reposition the uhf part
to get that and not lose the others. i also use an lte filter on the
uhf. i found this pre-amp better than anything else i had tried and did
solve the signal quality and symbol quality dropping out on the quatro.
fwiw.