[mythtv-users] hdhomerun pixelation

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 11:01:29 UTC 2019

On 24/02/2019 00:49, James Linder wrote:

> Following quite enthusistic endorsement here I got a HDhomerun tuner. I got the quad that exposed a few defects in the sheduler
> (like one rule; record one program on one channel at one time with two recorders and get two recordings)
>
> There is occasional pixelation specially on HD but signal strength on myth and on the standalone hdhomerun setup is 100% (what ever that means)
> Same antenna connection, but split 2 ways with their antenna to two flyleads, to a haupage dual usb tuner showed signal levels around 60% and also occasional pixelation, but only on HD.
>
> Since we don’t know what happens internally to the antenna signal, it could be 6dB down (1/4) of the original, or it could be internally amplified.
> I don’t want to get an amplifier if there is already an amplifier.
>
> What experience do other homerun users have?
>
> James

I forget what details you have posted before about your situation, but
ISTR that some signal strengths seemed marginal.  In that case, if you
don't have an amplifier in the antenna lead, using a splitter will be
bad.  It seems likely that each of your devices has an internal
amp+splitter, but each will need a good signal/noise ratio at its input.
  If you have a long run of cable, a preamp (preferably at the antenna
end) should help; but you need a good antenna too.  Nothing can improve
on the signal/noise ratio that leaves the antenna.

John