[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:34:20 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 8:25 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/22/19 10:43 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 3:37 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 2/17/19 6:07 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> not receive my local PBS station. my HDHR Connect and Quatro can receive
>>> that station at ~50%.  My new WinTV Quad PCIe receives that station at 83%.
>>>
>>> I would encourage you to be very careful throwing around these numbers
>>> as they are not an apples-to-apples comparison.  Each demodulator chip
>>> exposes it's SNR and signal level in a different format, so the scales
>>> are largely arbitrary (and each of the three products you mentioned
>>> have different demodulator chips).  Knowing that 50% is worse than 80%
>>> is useful for a particular card, but don't think 80% on one product is
>>> the same as 80% on a different product if they have different
>>> demodulator chips.
>>>
>>> I'm not doubting the empirical results you've observed (i.e. that
>>> newer devices are performing better than your older generation
>>> products) - just the comparison of the actual numbers.
>>>
>>> (speaking as someone who has worked on various ATSC demodulator
>>> drivers in the Linux kernel).
>>>
>>> Devin
>>>
>>> ==
>>> Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
>>> http://www.kernellabs.com
>>> ___________________________________
>>>

>> I would not disagree with you.  My point is with my antenna setup the
>> HVR2250 could not scan the PBS station.  The HDHR Quatro could receive the
>> station with occasional break ups. The WinTV is rock solid.
>>
>> Jim A
>>
>> I had a situation with my reception recently that made me do a revamp of
>> my antenna situation. I had 2 antennas pointing in different directions and
>> combined before making the long run from the attic to the splitter in the
>> data distribution box. My previous setup was for use with HDHR tuners.
>>
>> Now with the WinTV QuadHD PCIe card I removed the weaker of the two
>> antennas and the combiner. The main antenna is a Clearstream 4MAX without a
>> distribution amplifier.  I set the antenna 45 degrees off of both main
>> signal sources, about half-way between them. I used the HDHR signal
>> strength to peak the signal, but when I scanned with mythtv-setup I had
>> achieved 91% on the weak PBS station 30 miles away and 100% on all other
>> channels.
>>
>> I know these signal values don't mean much except 100 is better than 90
>> is better than 50.
>>
>> What I conclude is the WinTV-QuadHD PCIe card is the best tuner I've
>> tested. Much better than even the latest HDHR Quatro. A big issue for me is
>> the network problems are completely removed. I had to completely isolate
>> the HDHR tuners on one gigabit switch alone with the Mythtv backend to fix
>> some of the issues, but that didn't fix them all.  So now the network is
>> only for FE client activity which will have no impact on recording even if
> [...]
I am a HAM and there are no light dimmers in my house for the same reason.
I was not aware of the LED issue as I have been off the air for a number of
hears.  Your RV antenna in all likelihood has an amplifier built in, mine
did.

In the old days, if you didn't have a good antenna setup you got ghosts.
You needed a good antenna, a preamp, and good lead wire to get a good
signal.  Now you get a good signal regardless of what you have, until you
don't like when the wind blows. I don't think people appreciate the
importance of the antenna.  From the sales literature and the Amazon review
comments it looks like the customer base is significantly dumbed down.

Allen