[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 11:37:29 UTC 2019

On 2/17/19 6:07 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019, 5:57 PM Devin Heitmueller
> <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com <mailto:dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
>
>     > You mentioned the HVR-2250.  I threw that card away because it
>     could not receive my local PBS station. my HDHR Connect and Quatro
>     can receive that station at ~50%.  My new WinTV Quad PCIe receives
>     that station at 83%.
>
>     I would encourage you to be very careful throwing around these numbers
>     as they are not an apples-to-apples comparison.  Each demodulator chip
>     exposes it's SNR and signal level in a different format, so the scales
>     are largely arbitrary (and each of the three products you mentioned
>     have different demodulator chips).  Knowing that 50% is worse than 80%
>     is useful for a particular card, but don't think 80% on one product is
>     the same as 80% on a different product if they have different
>     demodulator chips.
>
>     I'm not doubting the empirical results you've observed (i.e. that
>     newer devices are performing better than your older generation
>     products) - just the comparison of the actual numbers.
>
>     (speaking as someone who has worked on various ATSC demodulator
>     drivers in the Linux kernel).
>
>     Devin
>
>     ==
>     Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
>     http://www.kernellabs.com
>     ___________________________________
>

> I would not disagree with you.  My point is with my antenna setup the
> HVR2250 could not scan the PBS station. The HDHR Quatro could receive
> the station with occasional break ups. The WinTV is rock solid.
>
> Jim A

I had a situation with my reception recently that made me do a revamp of
my antenna situation. I had 2 antennas pointing in different directions
and combined before making the long run from the attic to the splitter
in the data distribution box. My previous setup was for use with HDHR
tuners.

Now with the WinTV QuadHD PCIe card I removed the weaker of the two
antennas and the combiner. The main antenna is a Clearstream 4MAX
without a distribution amplifier.  I set the antenna 45 degrees off of
both main signal sources, about half-way between them. I used the HDHR
signal strength to peak the signal, but when I scanned with mythtv-setup
I had achieved 91% on the weak PBS station 30 miles away and 100% on all
other channels.

I know these signal values don't mean much except 100 is better than 90
is better than 50.

What I conclude is the WinTV-QuadHD PCIe card is the best tuner I've
tested. Much better than even the latest HDHR Quatro. A big issue for me
is the network problems are completely removed. I had to completely
isolate the HDHR tuners on one gigabit switch alone with the Mythtv
backend to fix some of the issues, but that didn't fix them all.  So now
the network is only for FE client activity which will have no impact on
recording even if we are streaming multiple UHD 4K Prime or Netflix.

Jim A