[mythtv-users] Is there a way for Myth to report no tuner?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Feb 20 03:26:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 09:35:47 -0800, you wrote:

>I know I could do this with a custom script but I am wondering if there is
>something built into Myth that can alert me of the problem. This problem
>seems to occur about once every 6 weeks and I lose a couple of shows
>because of it.
>
>As I posted on another thread, I get some kind of crash where Myth cannot
>connect to my HDHomerun tuners. I believe this is a network problem of some
>kind as the HDHomerunConfig program cannot connect to the tuners and a
>simple command line instruction cannot connect.
>
>What I would like is to get an email if the HDHomerun units are
>unavailable.
>
>For reference, I have two HDHomerun units, 192.168.1.13 and 192.168.1.14.
>If I were building a script, I would use ping or arp and parse the result
>or perhaps look at a return code. Not sure. My question is basically has
>this already been done and is a script or setup available to do this that I
>can utilize?
>
>Allen

When I first got my Asus M5A97EVO motherboard, the Linux Realtek 8168
drivers were bad - the Ethernet port would stop working about once a
day.  This was particularly disastrous if I was away from home, as
that box runs my OpenVPN server that I use to access my home network
from outside.  So I wrote a python script that pinged another device
on my network regularly, and whenever the ping failed, it reset the
driver by unloading it and loading it again.  You could modify it -
change the code that resets the driver to something that sends you an
email.

The Python 3 script is here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/net-keepalived.py

and the systemd unit that runs it is here:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/net-keepalived.service

You might want to run two instances of the script, one for each tuner.

Let me know if you want help modifying this.

BTW The r8168 driver is now fine and the script has not detected any
problems for several years now.