[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner Card 1609 and Pixelation

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 00:22:11 UTC 2019

On 2/16/19 7:02 PM, Barry Martin wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> I am considering building a new Backend and wondering if the current
> tuners are better at compensating for varying signal conditions than
> the old ones. Specifically I’m considering the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD
> TV Tuner Card (1609) versus reusing my old HVR-1600 and HVR2250.
>
> I have issues with pixelation: have tweaked the incoming signal to the
> best of my ability; problem is definitely wind and moving tree
> branches. Am wondering if a newer tuner (later generation) is able to
> handle fluctuating signal levels better than the older tuners (early
> generation). I realize no one can give a 100% answer as reception
> depends on a number of factors. I’m located in the U.S., so ATSC and OTA.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Barry

I have just installed that card you're considering. I had all kinds of
issues with my HDHR Quatro and replaced it with the 1609. Like you I'm
in the US with ATSC OTA only. Since all of my local channels but one
give me 100% on both the HDHR Quatro and the 1609 it's hard to say which
is better at picking up stations.  The one station I watched on the HDHR
that was 53% is now 82% on the 1609.  It also doesn't seem to overload
as I'm 10 miles from the tower farms for the local CBS, NBC, ABC, and
Fox stations. Even though I was using TCP/IP  method of connection on
the HDHR I still had minor signal issues. It's only been a few days on
the 1609, but I have not seen any issues with the signal and picture
that was recorded.

My frontends are either a RP3 LibreELEC 9.00 or a Shield TV. Both of
those look great on the new recordings done on the 1609. Since the
Shield TV is connected to a UHD 4K TV which up converted 1080i and 720p
to 4K it all looks great. I have a test PC that has a Nvidia GT710 that
I use for testing Mythtv and other things.  It also looks great on
Mythtv recordings made on the 1609.

The best part for me is now there are no temporary network issues that
screwed up my recordings on the HDHR. My limited few days of experience
with the Hauppauge 1609 says it's the right choice. My HDHRs will be
used for Live TV on tablets, phones and SmartTVs. Mythtv gets all 4
channels of the 1609 for itself.

I had a HVR 2250 that I through out when I bought my HDHR tuners a few
years ago and that was a good move at the time. Likewise, replacing the
HDHR Quatro with the WinTV QuadHD is the right move now.

Jim A