[mythtv-users] v30 can anyone tell me is it worth upgrading?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Feb 14 03:19:34 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:43:43 +1000, you wrote:

>v30 can anyone tell me is it worth upgrading?
>
>I've looked through the release notes and cannot see anything that is
>compelling to upgrade.
>
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_30
>
>and this actually looks like a negative (although I tend to steer away from
>H.265 content)
>*Hardware accelerated H.265/HEVC decoding with VDPAU is not available any
>more for Nvidia users.
>
>Happy to have my view persuaded
>
>Currently running v29 on ubuntu 16.04
>
>Cheers,
>
>Anthony

What is your Nvidia card?  You are only going to lose H.265 decoding
on it if it is a more recent one that actually does H.265 hardware
decoding.  In my case, I have an Nvidia GT220, so it does not do H.265
anyway.  But my CPU (AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz quad core) is more than
capable enough, so H.265 is fine.