[mythtv-users] deleting tuners and replacing tuners

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:11:51 UTC 2019

on my Ubuntu 18.04.1 server Mythtv backend v30 I've been using HDHR
networked tuners. I've grown tired of the problems I'm having with them
that SiliconDust can't get fixed with a firmware upgrade.  They know
about it and have been working with their demodulator vendor for months.

So I ordered a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609. I
know about the Linux drivers from their support website and have the PPA
for the kernel drivers installed.

I'm wanting to make the swap without screwing up my XMLTV EPG data from
Schedules Direct. I use the grabber tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite and I have
the HDHR configured as External Recorder via mythhdhrrecorder.

It looks like I have to delete all tuners to remove any tuner. What
would be the process?

I'm guessing, delete input Video Capture cards BUT leave the Video
Sources alone?  The new tuner will receive the exact same OTA ATSC
channels as the old ones. Right now I have 2 Video Sources that are
basically the same except for 3 channels that the HDHR Quatro screws up
on. The HDHR Connect uses a Video source that has all the channels and
the Quatro use a Video source that is missing the 3 channels it can't
receive.

I know when I setup the 2 video sources I messed up some of the channel
data on the previously recorded programs. The recordings where fine, but
the channel data for that recording was messed up. I fixed with mysql
workbench.

I know if I delete all tuners, video sources and input connections I get
a cleaning system with less data pulled from SD for the EPG, but I risk
messing up the channel data on my previous recordings.

Jim A