[mythtv-users] compiling performance question

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Tue Feb 12 15:48:29 UTC 2019

 ---- On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:04:41 +0000 Jon Heizer <jheizer at gmail.com> wrote ----

 > On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:12 AM Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:
 > Recently upgraded from 29 to 30 but as of yet, rpm based distro's don't have a v30 in the repos. Cue git and self compiling. All ran with a simple ./configure, make, make install.
 >
 >  1) Compiled on 3 machines, with everything running SSD's with at least 4GB ram. CPU's & compile times as follows:
 >  Laptop - i5-5200u - 3minutes (used as a test machine)
 >  Server - Pentium G3240 - 20minutes (multipurpose, running Myth BE)
 >  intel Nuc - Celeron N2830 - 2h40mins (Primary FE)
 >

 > That does seem like a long time.  In comparison my J4205 (low powered quad core no HT) chip has similar clock speeds but twice the cores. With 8GB of ram and a no name SATA SSD a refreshing git pull and clean through make install takes about 3min 30s.  Are you passing a -j 3 or similar to the make?
 > Jon

i have done -j X in the past, but for the sake of the question, left it at default for all kit.
i think running -j 2 on the server does bring it down to 10-12mins. haven't yet tried it on the Celeron, but maybe do it overnight when the FE isnt in use and use 'time' to see how long it takes with -j 2.