[mythtv-users] compiling performance question

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:04:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:12 AM Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:

> Recently upgraded from 29 to 30 but as of yet, rpm based distro's don't
> have a v30 in the repos. Cue git and self compiling. All ran with a simple
> ./configure, make, make install.
>
> 1) Compiled on 3 machines, with everything running SSD's with at least 4GB
> ram. CPU's & compile times as follows:
> Laptop - i5-5200u - 3minutes (used as a test machine)
> Server - Pentium G3240 - 20minutes (multipurpose, running Myth BE)
> intel Nuc - Celeron N2830 - 2h40mins (Primary FE)

That does seem like a long time.  In comparison my J4205 (low powered quad
core no HT) chip has similar clock speeds but twice the cores. With 8GB of
ram and a no name SATA SSD a refreshing git pull and clean through make
install takes about 3min 30s.  Are you passing a -j 3 or similar to the
make?

Jon