[mythtv-users] v30 unsmooth playback

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Mon Feb 11 15:52:31 UTC 2019

 ---- On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:53:42 +0000 Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote ----

 > Is it definitely using vaapi / vaapi2?
 >
 > I see from another post you recently rebuilt to f29, which uses wayland
 > by default, and unless you specifically configure the dri devices for
 > vaapi2, the vaapi subsystem will fail to initialize and you will drop
 > back to software decoding.
 >
 > Pop up the playback data window to check
 > Hit 'M' > playback > playback data
 >
 > and you should see vaapi/vaapi2 in there, if you see ffmpeg you are
 > running with software decode.

definately on vaapi, playback data confirmed (something i always use to confirm config)  - i did discover that iso install of F29 didn't include the vaapi drivers, so had to install the libva-intel-drivers (and libva-utils). after this vaapi in f29 just worked.
that other thread you found of mine is a bit confusing based on this thread. First weekend rebuild was on on centos7 but had some excessive boot time details. I did have to install the libva stuff as well on centos7 to get mythtv to vaapi decode. f29 was a test to see what happens with the boot delays immediately after grub. halved it infact so i'm currently running f29. Also ships with kernel 4.x which is needed for bluetooth&logitech harmony pairing so seems easier to get running off the ground.

i'm not familiar with dri, so I've not knowingly done anything there.
just to highlight, the rebuild was done as i experienced issues on my existing centos7 & myth29 FE. Full OS update (with elrepo-kernel providing kernel-lt) & myth30 upgrade made the playback issue occur.