[mythtv-users] mythfrontend.real

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:10:43 UTC 2019

On 2/6/19 9:53 AM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 6:19 AM Stefan Davids
> <mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net <mailto:mythtv at stefan.davids.uk.net> wrote:
>
>     On 06-02-2019 13:59, John Pilkington wrote:
>
>     > I think there's some confusion here.  Isn't the 'mythfrontend'
>     > installed from the 'buntu packages the wrapper script, with
>     > 'mythfrontend.real' and 'mythtv-setup.real' the binaries as
>     built from
>     > a 'standard' compilation, but renamed?
>
>     Yes that's my understanding.  I think you could rename the installed
>     executables and install the scripts by hand if you wanted.
>
>     I don't know where the extra bit of building from source which
>     installs the scripts and renames the binaries is but it seems to
>     be present in the deb packages the packaging can build.
>
>     Stefan

> The scripts aren't in MythTV, they are part of the Debian packaging.
> So you won't get them unless you use the Debian packages it build
> using the Deb build scripts

When I look at my old production system that was built  from PPA with
v29 and upgraded to v30 it has the 2 scripts for mythtv-setup and
mythfrontend.  On a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 system only mythfrontend now has
a script. It seems that the mythtv-setup script has been eliminated.

Maybe with things moving to systemd everywhere the scripts will not be
used at all in the future??

Clearly on the system I built from source there are no scripts and
mythfrontend works just fine.

Jim A